After a weekend that broke temperature records it’s getting cooler again this week but I’m keen to let more light and air into the house, and make it feel more spacious. I always look forward to these
Things to do in spring in the house:
1. Open doors and windows to let air circulate around the corners that have been shut up all winter. As I sit here typing I can hear the birds singing, a sound we humans have welcomed as the start of spring for millenia.
2. Swap thick, dark curtains, chair covers and cushion covers for thinner, paler ones, roll up and remove rugs. A bit of light and I’m desperate to remove all those cosy, hygge-making items I relied on over the winter!
3. Wash my soft furnishings and hang them to dry them outside. I love days that are warm enough to quickly dry cushion covers, blankets, quilts etc. Being able to fold them up and bring them into the house soft and warm is a delight after a long winter.
5. Put away my winter clothes. Just moving boots and taking thick coats, hats and scarves off the coat hooks makes the hallway and stairs feel instantly bigger and lighter.
6. Do some cleaning. Sunshine shows up cobwebs and the dust created by the woodburner. Somehow cleaning is easier when it feels like getting rid of the old season and letting in new energy.
7. Get rid of bits and pieces that have been lying around unused. This year I’m enthused enough to open an Ebay account. The season is supporting you on this if you find it hard to let go – everything around you is opening up and bursting out!
8. Bring in seasonal flowers and foliage from our garden, hedgerows or British growers. The lanes are frothing out with new growth and our herbs are coming back strongly.
9. Beat those wretched moths and make my clothes last longer by airing items that hang in the wardrobe for long periods of time. Moths love dark and undisturbed corners, so I get out suits, jackets and jumpers and hang them out in the sun. It seems to work as well as, if not better, than putting smelly chemicals in the cupboards.
Do you have any favourite things to do in spring? What makes you feel that winter is over and summer is on the way?
(Top two photos by Aditya Saxena, & Dmitry Arslanov on Unsplash)